This post is actually the notes I use for a powerpoint presentation I created a few years back. I hope it provides an organized and readable analysis of my perspective of the creation/evolution debate. I am grateful for any comments.
Evolution or Creation?
Is it really science versus religion?
I. The Battle
To win a war we must first know what the battle is all about.
Secular humanists are fighting an all-out war against biblical Christianity.
They want to destroy the truth of God’s authority over man and replace it with their own ideas of morality and truths.
Their main weapon? The anti-God religion of evolution.
Christians (especially the children) are being indoctrinated into believing that the universe and all that exists can be explained without God.
We are being “educated” against the truth of the history contained in Genesis.
Genesis contains the foundations of the message of salvation and God’s absolute moral standards.
Destroy Genesis and you destroy the Gospel Message, morality according to God, and God’s authority.
The more people believe evolution and reject Genesis 1-11 as history, the more they will reject the rest of the Bible.
How can we expect anyone to believe the Gospel message if they don’t believe the rest of the Bible?
Secular Humanists don’t care if evolution is true; they only care that God is false.
The secular world understands the battle, the battleground and the weapons.
Sadly, the Church, by and large, does not.
II. Why Genesis Matters
Psalm 11:3—When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?
Genesis is the foundation for all doctrine including the entire Gospel Message.
Get the foundation right and all the rest will stand firm.
10 Reasons Evolutionism Destroys The Gospel
(Courtesy The Genesis Solution, Ken Ham)
1. Origin of Death and Bloodshed
• Evolution claims that death and bloodshed have been going on for millions of years, long before Man evolved.
• If death and bloodshed occurred before Adam then the Gospel of Christ is destroyed at its roots.
a) Adam sinned and corrupted Paradise
b) Death is the penalty of that (original) sin
c) Sin, death and suffering came upon the entire Creation, not just Adam
d) Christ came to save man and conquer death
e) Ultimately He will restore paradise
f) If death came before Adam, what is the purpose of Christ’s sacrifice?
2. The Effect of Sin
• If everything is evolving upward and thus getting better, what was God’s curse all about?
• Evolution says death, thorns and pain are nothing special, just a part of the process
• And the world’s miserable condition did NOT result from a literal sin/fall/curse
• Then, what is the cause?
• Why doesn’t the Bible clearly reveal the true source?
3. The Purpose of Christ
The whole purpose of Christ’s life and death is based on:
• A literal sinless paradise
• An historical Adam and Eve
• An actual forbidden fruit they ate
• A literal curse of death
• Without that original sin and those literal circumstances, who would need to be saved?
4. Christ, totally good and loving
• Evolution requires millions of years of harsh struggle, death and survival of the fittest.
• Cold, unmerciful, brutal death over eons of time
• What a cruel and horrible method to “create” animals and man
• Our Creator’s nature is totally incompatible with evolution
• Christ said “blessed are the meek.”
• Evolution says “blessed are the strong and most aggressive, the toughest shall inherit the earth
5. Christ—All knowing, All powerful, Absolute perfection
• Our Creator, Jesus Christ, is truly omniscient and omnipotent
• He is capable of creating the universe in an instant
• Why would He use millions of years of slow evolution?
• Evolution requires trial and error; false starts; chance; repeated extinctions; lots of deaths
• Why would Jesus set such processes in motion?
• What purpose would there be to it?
• The Creator doesn’t need time and He doesn’t need to experiment
• Theistic Evolution and Progressive Creationism take away God’s glory
• They strip Him of His majesty and power, His omnipotence, His total perfection
6. Original Paradise
• Evolution denies the existence of an original, perfect paradise in which Adam and Eve were created
• Evolution requires that life started in chaos and is gradually evolving towards greater and greater perfection
• The Bible says that the world started with excellence, order, total perfection
• Because of Adam’s sin, the world is a fallen, degenerating world
7. The Restoration
• If Evolution is true what kind of world can Christians look forward to?
• Survival of the fittest? Killing, death, mutations?
• Are we to be “restored” to this kind of world?
• The Bible says we will be restored to the pre-sin paradise of Eden in Genesis.
• Evolution theology destroys the teaching of the new heavens and earth.
8. The Always-Truthful Character of God
• If evolution is true then the Bible (God’s Word) is deceptive
• For thousands of years Jews and Christians believed in a literal, straightforward, common-sense reading of Genesis
• Did God deceive all of our Christian forefathers?
• Jesus quoted often from Genesis. He accepted Genesis as historical truth (see section III)
• Was God intentionally deceiving Jesus? Or, was Jesus intentionally deceiving us?
• The Bible makes it clear that God is NOT deceptive or a liar.
• Therefore, if evolution is true then the Bible MUST be false.
9. God is in Control and He Judges Sin
• Genesis provides a record of various significant judgments by God on sin.
• These judgments are evidence that God is in control and judges sin.
• Evolutionists claim that Genesis is inaccurate.
• If so, the following stories are seriously in doubt:
a) The Fall and God’s curse (Gen. 3)
b) The curse on Cain for committing murder (Gen. 4:1-15)
c) The tower of Babel judgment (Gen. 11:1-9)
d) The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah (Gen. 18-19)
e) The Flood (Gen. 6-9)
• These stories are meant to show that God is in control, all-powerful and judges sin.
• If evolution is true, these stories must be false.
10. Evolutionism Provides a way to “Scientifically” Reject God
• The whole idea of evolution is based on natural processes.
• Evolution denies the possibilities of the supernatural: God, miracles, angels, divine intervention, Satan, etc.
• “In the evolutionary system of thought, there is no longer need nor room for the supernatural.” Sir Julian Huxley, atheist evolutionist.
• Evolution is the most common reason people give for why they reject the Bible and/or God.
• It has been the cause of millions becoming agnostics or atheists.
• If people will not accept what Genesis says because of what the scientific “consensus” tells them, how will they believe the claims of Christ?
• Jesus claimed to be the Way to overcome death—naturalistic science says that death is final.
• The Bible claims that Jesus turned water into wine, walked on water, raised the dead, healed the sick and lame etc. “Science” says none of this is possible.
• Why would anyone believe these things if science has “proven” that Genesis is false?
• Expecting someone to accept Christ while rejecting Genesis and Christ’s miracles is simply illogical and unrealistic.
It really is a question of authority: the authority of God vs. the authority of man; the authority of Jesus vs. the authority of the contemporary scientific majority
Those who reject the Bible are rejecting God’s authority in favor of someone else’s or their own.
And those who compromise God’s Word are essentially doing the same: rejecting God’s unmitigated authority, perhaps because of a desire to satisfy the flesh, for pride, or to avoid ridicule.
If Christians try to add a worldly concept into the Bible here or gloss over a part there, it is as if they are saying that God’s Word is not enough and humans need to “complete” what was lacking.
When Christians reinterpret the days of creation to fit with millions of years or adopt other positions that add evolution to the Bible, they are undermining the very Word of God itself.
And this is the issue—this is why we have lost biblical authority from the culture.
If Christians don’t believe Scripture is sufficient, why should an unbeliever?
III. What does Jesus believe about the Old Testament?
Jesus knew the Scriptures thoroughly. John 7:15- And the Jews marveled, saying, “How does this Man know letters, having never studied?”
He believed every word of Scripture.
1. He believed the Old Testament was historical fact.
Jesus did not allegorize these accounts but took them as straightforward history, describing events that actually happened just as the Old Testament describes:
• Luke 11:51—Abel was a real individual
• Matthew 19:4—Adam and Eve
• Matthew 24:37–39—Noah and the flood (Luke 17:26, 27)
• John 8:56–58—Abraham
• Matthew 10:15; 11:23, 24 (Luke 10:12)—Sodom and Gomorrah
• Luke 17:28–32—Lot
• Matthew 8:11—Isaac and Jacob (Luke 13:28)
• John 6:31, 49, 58—Manna
• John 3:14—Serpent
• Matthew 12:39–41—Jonah
• Matthew 24:15—Daniel and Isaiah
2. He believed the books were written by the men whose names they bear:
• Moses wrote the Pentateuch (Torah): Matthew 19:7, 8; Mark 7:10, 12:26 Luke 5:14; 16:29,31; 24:27, 44 ; John 1:17; 5:45, 46; 7:19;
• Isaiah wrote Isaiah: Mark 7:6–13; John 12:37–41
• Jonah wrote Jonah: Matthew 12:39–41
• Daniel wrote Daniel: Matthew 24:15
3. He believed the Old Testament was spoken by God Himself, or written by the Holy Spirit’s inspiration: Matthew 19:4, 5; 22:31, 32, 43; Mark 12:26; Luke 20:37.
4. He believed Scripture was more powerful than His miracles: Luke 16:29, 31.
5. He warned against replacing scripture with something else, or adding or subtracting from it. Matthew 5:17; 15:1–9; 22:29; Mark. 7:1–12
6. He fulfilled Old Testament prophecies about Himself. Matthew 11:10; 26:24, 53–56; Mark 9:12, 13; Luke 4:17–21; 18:31–33; 22:37; 24:44–47.
7. He Himself is the Word of God. All the words from His lips were the Word of God. (John 3:34).
8. Jesus constantly quoted the Old Testament as a basis for His own teaching,
• Church discipline (Matt. 18:16)
• Marriage (Matt. 19:3-9)
• God’s requirements for eternal life (Matt. 19:16-19)
• The greatest commandment (Matt. 22:37-39)
• The fact that He will cause family divisions (Matt. 10:35 36).
• He used the Old Testament as His justification for cleansing the temple (Matt. 21:12-17)
• His disciples picking grain on the Sabbath (Luke 6:3-4)
• It is the “weapon” He used in His response to the temptations of Satan (Matt. 4:1-10)
• The Old Testament sits in judgment over all the man-made traditions and ideas of public consensus (Matt. 15:1-9)
• Jesus demonstrated that there is nothing higher than Scripture to which we can appeal as a source of truth and divine standards for what we are to believe and do (Mark 7:5-13
9. He also said that believing the writings of Moses was foundational to believing His words (John 5:45-47)
10. Jesus believed and taught that man has existed essentially as long as the entire cosmos has existed: Mark 10:6, Mark 13:19-20, Luke 11:50-51
11. He made provision for the New Testament by sending the Holy Spirit.
• Christ stated that the apostles’ words had the same authority as His: Matthew 10:14, 15; Luke 10:16; John 13:20; 14:22; 15:26, 27; 16:12–14.
• The Apostles believed that the Old Testament was the inspired word of God: 2 Peter 1:21, Acts 1:16, Acts 3:20-21, Romans 3:2, 2 Timothy 3:16
• The Apostles clearly believed the Old Testament was history, not myth or tradition:
a) I Peter 3:20 -Noah’s ark
b) 1 John 3:12 -Cain murders Abel
c) Hebrews 4:9-11 -God rested on the 7th day
d) John 1:1-3 -Jesus was the Creator
If we call Him Lord, can we have a different view of Genesis, creation, and the age of the earth than He had?
Will we seek “worldly respectability” or will we seek to be faithful to Jesus Christ and His Word?
Will we go with the opinions of the majority of contemporary scientists (most of whom are in rebellion against God), who insist that the earth and universe are billions of years old?
Or will we go with the inerrant and authoritative Word of the God, which teaches us plainly that the earth is only about 6000 years old?
IV. Evidence for Creation and a Young Earth
(Since LOTS OF TIME is the magic elixir for evolution to occur, we will scientifically address this issue in this section.)
For the first 18 centuries of church history, the almost universal belief of Christians was that God created the world in six literal days roughly 4,000 years before Christ and destroyed the world with a global flood at the time of Noah.
This began to change about 200 years ago when atheists began to reinterpret the evidence.
We all have the same earth, the same fossil layers, the same animals and plants, the same stars—the facts are all the same.
The difference is in the way we interpret the facts.
And why do we interpret facts differently?
Because we start with different presuppositions; these are things that are assumed to be true without being able to prove them.
When Christians and non-Christians argue about the evidence, in reality they are arguing about their interpretations based on their presuppositions.
Most Evolutionists begin with the presuppositions that there is no God, no supernatural powers, and natural processes can account for all things.
Therefore, they must create theories to explain the evidence based on these presuppositions.
Christians have the Bible to use as their basis for interpreting the evidence.
One must be able to recognize this debate for what it is—a different interpretation based on differing presuppositions (i.e., starting beliefs). It’s NOT about science versus religion.
The idea of “millions of years” is probably the biggest stumbling block for many Christians.
Most people believe that science has proven that the earth is millions of years old.
Science has not and cannot prove the age of the earth.
Radiometric dating is used by evolutionists to “prove” the age of the earth.
Does radiometric dating show that rocks are millions of years old? This dating method requires assumptions about the content of the original rocks and the decay rate in the past.
Problems with the assumptions:
1. What were the initial amounts of parent and daughter?
2. Was any parent amount added?
3. Was any daughter amount added?
4. Was any parent amount removed?
5. Was any daughter amount removed?
6. Has the rate changed?
Mt. St. Helens exploded on May 18, 1980
• 35 years ago
• Radiometric age? 33 million YEARS or more!
Evidences for a Young-earth
(there are many others in addition to these)
(The following information can be found in greater detail at the original article which is here.)
1. Galaxies wind themselves up too fast.
“The stars of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, rotate about the galactic center with different speeds, the inner ones rotating faster than the outer ones. The observed rotation speeds are so fast that if our galaxy were more than a few hundred million years old, it would be a featureless disc of stars instead of its present spiral shape.”
2. Too few supernova remnants.
“According to astronomical observations, galaxies like our own experience about one supernova every 25 years. The gas and dust remnants from such explosions should remain visible for over a million years. Yet the nearby parts of our galaxy in which we could observe such gas and dust shells contain only about 200 supernova remnants. That number is consistent with only about 7,000 years worth of supernovas“
3. Comets disintegrate too quickly.
“Comets are supposed to be the same age as the solar system, about five billion years. Yet each time a comet orbits close to the sun, it loses so much of its material that it could not survive much longer than about 100,000 years.”
4. Not enough mud on the sea floor.
“Each year, water and winds erode about 20 billion tons of dirt and rock from the continents and deposit it in the ocean. This material accumulates as loose sediment on the ocean floor. At known erosion rates the current deposits would have been laid down in less than 12 million years. An alternative (creationist) explanation is that erosion from the waters of the Genesis flood running off the continents deposited the present amount of sediment within a short time about 5,000 years ago.”
5. Not enough sodium in the sea.
“Every year, rivers and other sources dump over 450 million tons of sodium into the ocean. If the sea had no sodium to start with, it would have accumulated its present amount in less than 42 million years at today’s observed input and output rates.”
6. The earth’s magnetic field is decaying too fast.
“The total energy stored in the earth’s magnetic field (“dipole” and “non-dipole”) is decreasing with a half-life of 1,465 (± 165) years. At that rate the field could not be more than 20,000 years old.”
7. Many strata are too tightly bent.
“In many mountainous areas, strata thousands of feet thick are bent and folded into hairpin shapes. The folding occurred without cracking, with radii so small that the entire formation had to be still wet and unsolidified when the bending occurred. This implies that the folding occurred less than thousands of years after deposition.”
8. Biological material decays too fast.
“DNA and other biological material decay rapidly. DNA experts insist that DNA cannot exist in natural environments longer than 10,000 years, yet intact strands of DNA appear to have been recovered from fossils allegedly much older: Soft tissue and blood cells from a dinosaur have recently been reported. Bacteria allegedly 250 million years old apparently have been revived with no DNA damage.”
9. Too much helium in minerals.
“Uranium and thorium generate helium atoms as they decay to lead. Newly-measured rates of helium loss from zircon show that the helium has been leaking for only 6,000 (± 2000) years.”
10. Too much carbon 14 in deep geologic strata.
“With their short 5,700-year half-life, no carbon 14 atoms should exist in any carbon older than 250,000 years. Yet strata that are supposed to be millions or billions of years old contain significant amounts of Carbon 14. According to scientific observations this is impossible.”
11. All landforms would be eroded to sea level by now.
“Some studies have shown that at the known present rate of erosion, even taking into account man’s influence on the environment, the continents would be reduced to sea level in roughly 10 to 20 million years or possibly up to 33 million years. This means that NO FOSSILS or sedimentary deposits could be older than 33 million years. They would have eroded away by now.”
A quick word on the fossil record:
• 95% of the fossils (by number) consist of shallow marine organisms (e.g. corals, shellfish)
• Of the remaining 5%, 95% are all the algae and plant/tree fossils (including the coal) and all the other invertebrate fossils (e.g. insects)
• 5% of the 5% (or 0.25% of the entire fossil record) are the vertebrate fossils (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals)
• only 1% of this 0.25% (or 0.0025% of the entire fossil record) are vertebrate fossils that consist of more than a single bone! (e.g. there are only about 2,100 dinosaur skeletons in all the world’s museums.)
Kurt Wise, “The Nature of the Fossil Record,”
This should give you an idea of the weakness of the fossil record.
I. The REAL Battle Is between Secular Humanist Ideas and God’s Word
II. Evolution Theory Destroys The Gospel Message
III. Jesus and the Apostles Believed That Genesis is Literal history
IV. The evidence for a young-earth is powerful
Atheists and secular humanists understand exactly the consequences of getting Christians to compromise with evolution.
G. Richard Bozarth, “The Meaning of Evolution,” American Atheist, 20 Sept. 1979, p. 19
“Christianity has fought, still fights, and will fight science to the desperate end over evolution, because evolution destroys utterly and finally the very reason Jesus’ earthly life was supposedly made necessary. Destroy Adam and Eve and the original sin, and in the rubble you will find the sorry remains of the son of god. Take away the meaning of his death. If Jesus was not the redeemer that died for our sins, and this is what evolution means, then Christianity is nothing. Christianity is – must be! – totally committed to the special creation as described in Genesis, and Christianity must fight with its full might, fair or foul against the theory of evolution.”
Evolutionist Richard Lewontin in The New York Review, January, 1997, page 31
We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of the failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so-stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door.
G. Richard Bozarth, “The Meaning of Evolution”, American Atheist, 20 Sept. 1979, p. 30
“Atheism is the philosophy, both moral and ethical, most perfectly suited for a scientific civilization. Atheism will be ready to fill the void of Christianity’s demise when science and evolution triumph.”
Thomas Huxley, Atheist, known as “Darwin’s Bulldog”
“I am fairly at a loss to comprehend how any one, for a moment, can doubt that Christian theology must stand or fall with the historical trustworthiness of the Jewish Scriptures. The very conception of the Messiah, or Christ, is inextricably interwoven with Jewish history; the identification of Jesus of Nazareth with that Messiah rests upon the interpretation of the passages of the Hebrew Scriptures which have no evidential value unless they possess the historical character assigned to them. If all these definite and detailed narratives of apparently real events have no more value as history than have the stories of the regal period of Rome — what is to be said about the Messianic doctrine, which is so much less clearly enunciated: And what about the authority of the writers of the books of the New Testament, who, on this theory, have not merely accepted flimsy fictions for solid truths, but have built the very foundations of Christian dogma upon legendary quicksands?”
Anton Szandor LaVey, “The Satanic Bible”
“If you do not believe in what your religion teaches, why continue to support a belief which is contradictory with your feelings? It has become necessary for a NEW religion, based on man’s natural instincts, to come forth. THEY have named it. It is called Satanism.”
Quotes from Scientists:
Dr. Emery S. Dunfee, former professor of physics at the University of Maine at Farmington:
“One wonders why, with all the evidence against it, the (Godless) theory of evolution still persists. One major reason is that many people have a sort of vested interest in this theory. Jobs would be lost, loss of face would result, text books would need to be eliminated or revised.”
“Atheism needs evolution to escape from any implications regarding a creator. If one starts with Darwinism, certainly it is easy to escape from any obligation to God. Those opposed to their reasoning are branded as obscurantists who are trying to intrude religion into science.”
Anonymous scientist (reasons for anonymity are obvious):
A: “Nobody I know in my profession (molecular biologist) believes the information contained in DNA evolved. It was engineered by genius beyond genius, and such information could not have been written any other way. The paper and ink did not write the book! Knowing what we know, it is ridiculous to think otherwise.”
Q: “Have you ever stated that in a public lecture, or in any public writings?”
A: “No, I just say it evolved. To be a molecular biologist requires one to hold onto two insanities at all times. One, it would be insane to believe in evolution when you can see the truth for yourself. Two, it would be insane to say you don’t believe evolution. All government work, research grants, papers, big college lectures—everything would stop. I’d be out of a job, or relegated to the outer fringes where I couldn’t earn a decent living.”
Dr. John Morris:
[Scientists] see the evidence for creation, and they see it clearly, but peer pressure, financial considerations, political correctness, and a religious commitment to naturalism force them to look the other way and insist they see nothing. And so, the illogical origins myth of modern society perpetuates itself.
Biologist John Klotz, Ph.D.:
“It is clear that much of the structure of modern Evolutionary paleontology rests upon assumptions which are by their very nature not capable of verification… There is no disagreement with many of the observations of paleontology, but there may be disagreement with the interpretations which are placed on these observations.”
The New Answers Book (1, 2, 3 and 4), Ken Ham
In Six Days, John Ashton, editor
Already Gone, Britt Beemer and Ken Ham
Darwin’s Enigma, Luther Sunderland
The Genesis Flood, Henry Morris
Search For The Truth, Bruce Malone
Did God Use Evolution?, Werner Gitt
The Relevance of Genesis, Jason Lisle
Genesis: The KEY to Reclaiming the Culture, Ken Ham
Why Genesis Matters, Tommy Mitchell
Creation/Evolution: Does It Matter What We Believe?, Mike Riddle
FREE Streaming videos